Gaseous Exchange Grade 11 Notes Life Sciences.
What is Gaseous Exchange?
- The main function of the respiratory system is to take in oxygen from the atmosphere and make it available to the cells for cellular respiration.
- Carbon dioxide is produced during respiration and must be removed.
- Terms that are important that you can differentiate between:
- Breathing – the mechanical process whereby air moves into and out of the lungs. (inhalation and exhalation)
- Gaseous exchange – the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide across a gaseous exchange surface.
- Cellular respiration – the release of energy from glucose in the presence of oxygen
Structure of the gaseous exchange system of humans
Table of Contents